Studio comes with the option to generate activities directly from web services through the New Service wizard. The wizard generates activities from SOAP or Swagger web services, which can be packaged as a
.nupkg file and then published.
Follow the steps below to generate activities from web services:
- Create a library in Studio, as explained in the About Libraries page.
- In the Design tab, click New Service, or right-click Services in the Project panel, then click New Service to open the Add new service window.
- Add a file path or link to the Swagger or SOAP resource and then click Load. Endpoints from the web service are now loaded in the Add new service window.
- Type in the method or operation you need in the Search Operations search box and view the results below. For Swagger, methods are marked with different colors in each endpoint. Use the Deselect All checkbox to deselects all endpoints and choose the endpoints that you want to load. The namespace is generated automatically, simply type in a new name to change it.
- Click Save. The service is now integrated in the project tree.
- To use the generated activities in the Designer panel, go to the Activities panel, search by the service namespace in the Available activities section and drag each activity to the panel.
For SOAP services, it is recommended to load only SOAP clients, as opposed to
To edit a service simply right-click the service in the Project panel, under Services and select Edit Service.
Adding and editing a service is also reflected in the
project.json file containing the definition of the library, and in the service document. A
webServices node is added in the
project.json file, and each service is identified by the following elements:
The name of the service provided in the Add new service window.
The path to the
.json file containing metadata for the SOAP or Swagger service. The file is used when the service is repaired, and should be versioned as part of the project.
The file path or link to the Swagger or SOAP resource (provided when the service is created in the Add new service window).
A reference needed for versioning the service.
dll files generated from SOAP or Swagger web services are not pushed to source control repositories. Therefore, when checking out libraries that contain services, the projects have unresolved activities in the Designer panel.
To repair those activities and generate the service
.dll file right-click on the service node in the Project panel and select Repair Service from the context menu.
SOAP or Swagger service metadata and additional information is stored in a
.json file for each service loaded in Studio. If a loaded service is missing its associated
.json file, the Repair Services context menu option for the Services node generates the missing
.json files using the link to the web document descriptor that was provided when that service was created. As a consequence, filters that might have been applied when the service was first generated are not applied anymore and all the resources provided by the aforementioned path or link are imported.
Generated activities from SOAP or Swagger services cannot be localized in Studio.
For more details about generated activities from web services, check out this page.